forming in 1947, Tumpeer Chemical has positioned itself as a leader in
the plastic and rubber industries serving
as both a manufacturer's representative and distributor in more than 25
states. Several of Tumpeer Chemical's business relationships span a
half century. We sell quality chemical dispersions, processing aids,
T-MR hydrocarbons, customer elastomeric compounds, resins, processing
equipment and laboratory testing instruments.
Tumpeer Chemical participates in the global market as a source for raw
materials to clients in the United Kingdom, South Africa, Mexico,
Canada and Ecuador. We recently began purchasing raw materials from
companies within Russia, China and Italy.
In late 2004, Tumpeer Chemical expanded its industry reach once again
with the formation of TCC Manufacturing located in Olney, Illinois.
This venture resulted from a foreseen industry need to provide
companies with ground hard asphalt.
Building on the strength of former personnel and senior industry
leaders, TCC is primed to add additional subagents to expand coverage
in core territories within the central and middle United States.
In 1947, Julius
faced mandatory retirement at the age of 65
from the presidency of the Witco Corporation. He had no interest in
moving to New York City (Witco's new headquarters) from Chicago to
serve as a director and he still preferred the distribution and
marketing aspects of the rubber business, in contrast to the
manufacturing aspects of the business.
Therefore upon his retirement from Witco, Julius Tumpeer co-founded
Tumpeer Chemical Company with his son-in-law, Eli Grossman. He sold all
his stock in the Witco Corporation. Julius then aligned the Tumpeer
Chemical Company with many of the competitors of the Witco Corporation
as a distributor or agent. The company had immediate and strong sales
success and expanded into the areas of chemical dispersions, resins
sales and carbon black representation. Julius continued to be the
President of Tumpeer Chemical Company until his death in 1970. Eli
Grossman served as President from 1970 to the end of 1986. Gerald
Williams, a Tumpeer Chemical Company employee since 1974, became its
President in 1987 and still serves in that capacity. He owns TCC in
partnership with his wife Wendy Williams.
But a keystone to the success of Tumpeer Chemical in 1947, and
throughout its life, has been the sale of an asphaltic product called
"T-MR fine grind mineral rubber." Julius approached Trumbull Asphalt
Company (now a division of Owens Coming Corporation) in Summit,
Illinois to manufacture a granulated, blown, asphalt rubber filler
(T-MR) for Tumpeer Chemical Company. It was essentially a toll
manufacturing arrangement. Today, however, TCC Manufacturing Co. now
grinds the low-PIN asphalt that is oxidized by either Trumbull Asphalt
or Martin Asphalt. Tumpeer Chemical does the product invoicing and
distribution. Tumpeer Chemical Company derives other significant income
from the sale of custom-mixed rubber, equipment sales and chemical
sales. As a company, distribution sales, or re-sold sales, are close to
$2,000,000 and as sales agent, annual sales have been as high as
Chemical Company was originally a distributor and
reseller of chemicals. Up to 1924 they purchased and re-sold the output
of a small asphalt company located in Lawrenceville, Illinois called
the Pioneer Asphalt Company. In 1924, the Wishnick-Tumpeer Chemical
Company purchased the Pioneer Asphalt Company. They specialized in the
production of asphaltic products for the rubber industry.
In 1944, the Wishnick-Tumpeer Company changed its name to Witco
Corporation. Years later they changed their name again to the Witco
Chemical Corporation. Witco grew rapidly over the years as they
continued to buy more of their Principals and make other acquisitions.
Witco Chemical started producing other types of specialty oils, fatty
acids, carbon black and chemicals and eventually grew into a
multibillion-dollar sales company that today is listed on the New York
In 1985, The Texaco Oil and Refining Company, primarily due to damage
caused by a major fire at the facility, decided to close their
Lawrenceville plant. As a result, Pioneer Asphalt Company lost its
local and least expensive source of raw asphalt. The Texaco closing and
the death of Mr. Wishnick in 1983, prompted Witco to decide to close
the Pioneer Division. In July of 1985 a group of investors, lead by
Ziegler Chemical and Mineral Corporation, bought the facility and
retained the Pioneer Asphalt Company name and continued to manufacture
Pioneer mineral rubber.
Pioneer Asphalt Co. closed their Lawrenceville, Illinois operations in
2004 and Trumbull Asphalt Co. stopped the grinding of hard hydrocarbon
in April of 2004.
Tumpeer Chemical Co. now needed a new source for ground "mineral
rubber!" Jerry and Wendy Williams elected to start TCC Manufacturing
Co. for the sole purpose of producing a "fine grind mineral rubber."
Trumbull remained the source for the oxidized asphalt and later Martin
Asphalt was added as a second source. Today "mineral rubber" is ground
and packaged at TCC Manufacturing Co. and shipped to the markets for
molded rubber goods (MRG), newsprint ink, shoe sole, drilling mud,
industrial wheel and floor mats; indicating only a few of the
applications for the hard hydrocarbon.